Thursday, August 20, 2026

Review: Son of the Storm by Suyi Davies Okungbowa

Son of the Storm Son of the Storm by Suyi Davies Okungbowa
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, however the book had already been published at the time so I opted to listen to the audiobook.

This book had all of the things I typically like in a fantasy, however it had way too many characters and plot lines to keep track of and I ultimately lost interest quickly. I felt like this book was trying to be both an epic fantasy full of politics and court intrigue while also being a high fantasy filled with magic, action, and lore. There was also social commentary about caste systems, race, and culture. As a fantasy lover I was most interested in the chapters that centered around the magic system and lore because it was so unique and but felt it was lost amongst all the other “stuff” happening. For a book this long I need something to keep me engaged and the constant introduction of new characters with their own motivations didn’t connect me with the characters or keep me interested in their stories.

Unfortunately, this wasn’t for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment