Sunday, August 2, 2026

Review: Brimstone Hollow by Archer Sullivan

Brimstone Hollow Brimstone Hollow by Archer Sullivan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC and ALC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This follows Annie on another investigation, this time she has been called to investigate the death of a snake preacher by his estranged daughter.  His death while not strange as he handled poisonous snakes regularly isn't out of the realm of possibility, everything that followed including the funeral was wrapped up in less than 24 hours.  His daughter wasn't notified and has alot of questions, while they hadn't spoken in years, he was still her father.  Annie, having ties to Appalachia herself, takes the case.

As Annie begins her investigation around the small town she begins to learn that not everything is as cut and dry as it may seem.  Her own memories of growing up in a similar environment begin to surface, especially as she becomes a target and it becomes clear that someone wants to stop the truth of the preacher's death from coming out.

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, however I felt this one missed the atmospheric element that The Witch's Orchard had.  You don't need read that book first, the books read as complete standalones.  I did enjoy the tangled mess that the small town aspect the storyline with everyone being in everyone else's business and Annie getting everyone stirred up the more questions she asks.  This also didn't have the folklore aspect that pulled me into the other book, instead it had a dream element that wasn't really explained and a heavy focus on the religious element of the community.

As far as a thriller goes, this felt more procedural and was your standard detective story.  I prefer a little more atmosphere and want to feel a little scared in my thrillers, and this was a bit lacking in that department.  I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment