Saturday, August 8, 2026

Review: Mary Sue by Meghan Fitzmartin

Mary Sue Mary Sue by Meghan Fitzmartin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley and Boom! Studios, all opinions are my own.

This is a compilation of volumes 1-5.  The art is stunning.  The storyline follows introverted teenager Cassie who loves to write fanfiction about her favorite show.  She has has dedicated online fans who love her work and give her feedback as well as friendship that she lacks in real life.  Her mom is worried about her and her school mates think she is strange.  Things do get a bit strange when the main character of her fanfic, a vampire named Jessica shows up in real life and things take off from there.

I'm not a big fanfiction reader, but you don't have to be to enjoy this.  The creators do a great job with the storyline and art to explain what you need to know about fandoms, tropes and anything else to understand what is going on.  I appreciated that they took familiar tropes and character arcs and explained the history of the Mary Sue character and created a whole fantasy world around it.  There is more to this graphic novel than just fanfiction, there is friendship and self-reflection as well.  This does end on quite the cliffhanger and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go with Cassie and Bennett in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment