Jem and the Holograms Book One by Kelly ThompsonMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley and Boom! Studios, all opinions are my own.
When I saw this as a review option on the monthly offerings from Boom! I knew I had to read it! As a child of the 80s, I loved Jem and was a loyal watcher of the animated series. This graphic novel takes the beloved characters and storyline and brings it into the present day while giving nods to some favorite pop-culture nods to the 80s. Fans of the 80s and those like myself who grew up in the 80s will appreciate the references to other 80s series and movies.
This begins as an origin story for Jem and the Holograms and sets up the rivalry with the Misfits another already established band. The storyline keeps alot of the elements of the original show, while adding some unique twists and bringing the band into the present day. We have social media and the internet that wasn't even a thought back in the 80s. There are lyrics present on the pages to represent the music we used to get in the show. The graphic novel delves into the relationships between the characters in each of the bands, the music, and the developing rivalry between the
I absolutely loved this. Jem was a staple in my after school routine in the 80s. The art style captures the bright colors from that time and captures the darker punk style to represent the Misfits and the lighter pop rock style to represent the Holograms. This graphic novel made me so happy! I loved the storyline and I can't wait to see what happens in the next volume.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment