Sunday, September 1, 2024

Review: Medusa by Nataly Gruender

Medusa Medusa by Nataly Gruender
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided and Audio ARC via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

The narrator did a great job keeping the pace of the book moving as sometimes Greek retellings can get a little slow at times.  I thought she did a wonderful job with Medusa's story.

Medusa's story is one that I've heard several times before, but it usually is told from Perseus' point of view.  The tales almost always include some sort of punishment for Medusa's transgression with Poseidon or her having always been a monster.  Check out trigger warnings if you aren't aware of the full extent of why Athena cursed Medusa.  This takes us back to before the snake headed gorgon we all know as Medusa, when she was human and takes us through her lifetime when she meets her end at the hands of Perseus.  I enjoyed getting to know her as a human and as a "monster" and on the many places she visits and those she interacts with.

This was a wonderful version of Medusa's story.  I've read several different versions, but as I mentioned they are typically told from Perseus' point of view with Medusa always being the villain.  There is so much more to her story than turning people to stone.  This is a much more intimate look into Medusa's life and those who had influence in her life both before and after her curse.   We get to see her humanity and emotions as she struggles with trauma, grief, betrayal, rage, and many other emotions.   Medusa was doomed from the start, but in this version we learn that she was so much more than the myth and the monster everyone thought she was.  I really enjoyed this and highly recommend it if you have enjoyed the other feminist retellings that are out there.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment