Sunday, November 27, 2022

Review: Tread of Angels by Rebecca Roanhorse

Tread of Angels Tread of Angels by Rebecca Roanhorse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book from the publisher Gallery Books/Saga Press via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.  

I loved this novella.  It has a bit of a steampunk vibe while also  being a SFF mystery.  This could have been a full length novel and I would have loved every minute of it.  For only being about 200 pages it packs a full story.  I thought the world building was great as was the character development.  Normally something suffers due to the shorter nature of novellas but I feel like Roanhorse did a wonderful job with the descriptions and the characters in the short time we spend with them  I had a hard time putting this down once I got started.

This follows Celeste who is trying to prove her sister's innocence after a brutal murder takes place at their place of employment.  Celeste and her sister Mariel live in a world where Heaven and Hell are very real places and Angels and Demons walk the Earth.  As she searches for proof that her sister is innocent, Celeste uncovers secrets that may endanger them both.  She must call in favors that may damn her soul and damage relationships of those she loves.  

This was full of secrets and lies.  At every turn Celeste was trying to outmaneuver someone who was attempting to manipulate her.  I highly recommend this dark fantasy.  It is a page turner that you wont' want to put down.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment