Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Review: First Born by Will Dean

First Born First Born by Will Dean
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided a ARC of this book via Edelweiss+, however I ended up listening to the final published version of the audiobook. As always all opinions are my own.

This was an interesting take on a domestic thriller. It wasn't your typical husband and wife trope, but instead this focuses on Molly and Katie/KT who are identical twins. The fact that they are identical twins is brought up multiple times throughout the book so you don't forget. KT has received a generous scholarship to Columbia University, her parents have come to visit her when she is found murdered in her apartment. Molly quickly flies to NYC to support her parents and support the authorities in any way she can. I believe Molly was supposed to be neurodivergent, she needs the need to be safe and have very specific routines in place. Her parents accept her and support her needs, while others things she is difficult and weird. Katie is or was outgoing and adventurous and while they looked identical their personalities were opposite. Molly launches her own investigation into her sister's death and uncovers more than she bargained. She quickly finds that Katie had been involved with some questionable people that may have betrayed her. Did their betrayal include her murder? I won't spoil it for you.

The major reveal occurs early in the book, which was an interesting spot for it and I found it quite surprising. After that I quickly figured out the next big twist and found the rest of the plot to be a bit implausible and hard to believe. I thought the premise was good, but the execution was a bit lacking. I found this predictable and repetitive. The author repeats some of the same information and phrases throughout the book.

I do think there is an audience for this book, and alot of people are going to love it. This one just wasn't for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment