Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Tag Tuesday Mid-Year Book Freak Out 2019



Well it is that time of year again, and I thought I would revive Tag Tuesday.  It might only be for this Tuesday, but I've been seeing this pop up on YouTube again and I really liked this tag last year so here we go.

Original post Chami and Ely at A Book So Fathomless. Original Vlogs IsThatChami and Earl Grey Books.

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2019. 
The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden. I love this series. I love the mythology and the characters. I just got the 3rd book in on audio and I can't wait to find out how it ends.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2019. 
The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2) by N.K. Jemison. I read The Fifth Season late last year and it was excellent, but this was even better. The conclusion was great as well, I highly recommend the series.  I want to read it all over again.


3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to. 
The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon.  This is one of my most anticipated fantasy books of the year.  It came out in February, and was recently on sale so it has joined my growing TBR of books I've bought but haven't read yet.  It also has an amazing cover.  It is something like 800+ pages so I need to get through my growing review pile and give myself a good amount of time to commit to this one.
29774026. sy475

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
The Dragon Republic by R.F. Kuang.  The Poppy War was one of my favorite books of last year, so I'm really looking forward to finding out how the story plays out.  I desperately want to request an ARC, but the audiobook of The Poppy War was so good, I think I'm going to wait and get it on audio and buy the e-book when it comes out in August.
41118857. sy475

5. Biggest disappointment.  
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple.  I think this was disappointing because it came so highly recommended.  I listened to the audiobook and perhaps that swayed my opinion, but I found the characters to be annoying instead of enchanting and funny.  The story was a bit too ridiculous for realistic fiction.  I think I fell into the hype and my expectations were much higher.  I see why so many people like it, but this just wasn't for me.
13526165

6. Biggest surprise. 
When I Grow Up I Want to Be a List of Further Possibilities by Chen Chen. I'm not a big poetry reader, but this was really approachable and straightforward. I didn't enjoy all of the poems, but I found it easy to read and I surprisingly liked it.  I read this for a reading challenge prompt, and I was dreading it because poetry often makes me feel inferior because I just don't get it.  His writing is beautiful and you could feel the emotion he put into them.  It was a surprise to me because I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would.  
31944953

7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you) .
Katherine Arden and N.K. Jemison, while they both write completely differently I love their styles and want to read all of their books.  Daisy Prescott is a new author to me, but her style is similar to Penny Reid and I can tell I'm going to love her.

8. Newest fictional crush. 
Reese Forster from Teardrop Shot by Tijan.  I really enjoyed this book and I love a decent guy in a romance. 
45701029

9. Newest favorite character.
Trinity from Storm and Fury by Jennifer L. Armentrout.  This is a spinoff of one of my favorite series and I really love the main character.  She doesn't let things get in her way.
40291564

10. Book that made you cry. 
I'm not a big crier when it comes to books.  I may shed a tear or get that feeling, but I never sit there and just have a good long cry because of a book or movie. Two books that brought some strong emotions through were:

Things We Never Said by Samantha Young 
Things We Never Said (Hart's Boardwalk, #3)

Boyfriend Bargain by Ilsa Madden-Mills
Boyfriend Bargain (Hawthorne University, #1)

11. Book that made you happy. 
Romeo and/or Juliet: A Chooseable-Path Adventure by Ryan North. This book is hilarious! I read it for one of the reading challenges I'm doing, and it is awesome. The illustrations are great and the different paths are amazingly funny. 

12. Favorite book to film adaptation you saw this year. 
Maybe Ready Player One because it was the only one I've seen not because it was the best.  This adaptation really disappointed me the first time I watched it because I loved the book so much.  The 2nd time I watched it I appreciated it for what it was, but it left so much out and changed some of my favorite scenes.  It kept the general premise of the book, but certainly wasn't the best adaptation of all time.  We don't go to the movies very often and when we do it is to see stuff like The Lego Movie 2 or other cartoon/kids movies.   We prefer to watch movies at home where the kids can move around, things can be paused, and snacks are in abundance.  I was late to the game watching this because we usually wait until things are on HBO on demand and sometimes they take forever to get there.
9969571. sy475

13. Favourite review you've written this year.
My series review of The Illuminae Files.  I really loved this series.  The audiobooks were amazing, as were the print books.  I highly recommend both formats.

14. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received) 
Verity by Colleen Hoover.  I think this cover is gorgeous.  This is another book that falls into the pile of books I've bought but haven't read yet.  I'm looking forward to getting to it.  
Verity

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
So many!  I have 12 prompts to finish up for the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge, 25 prompts left for the Popsugar Reading Challenge, and I've got a ton of ARCs that I need to get through by the end of the year.  I've read or listened to 87 books so far this year so here's hoping I can be just as successful in the 2nd half of the year.

Check out my July TBR for a list of what I plan to read this month and this is a small sampling of what is on my TBR for the rest of the year (in no particular order):






No comments:

Post a Comment