Monday, July 1, 2019

July 2019 TBR



Well it is finally summer, but you couldn't prove that by me.  It has been unseasonably cold and rainy here in Pennsylvania.  Hopefully July will shape up to be warmer than June.  As for books, I only have 1 ARC that I didn't get to for July so I'm hoping to get caught up on my reading challenge prompts and maybe get caught up on some other books I've been meaning to read and review.  We will see how that goes.  I'm hoping I didn't set myself up for failure by picking such a large TBR, but I'm determined knock these ones out and hopefully a few more.

Books/Ebooks/ARCs

  • Girls Like Us by Cristina Alger
    • This one is due out July 2nd.  This is another thriller/mystery.  This one follows a father/daughter FBI team but things get interesting when the father becomes a suspect in a murder.  That's not a spoiler it's in the description of the book.  I'm looking forward to this one too.
  • Burying the Honeysuckle Girls by Emily Carpenter
    • A friend recommended this and I saw it used at the library for $1 so I grabbed it.  This is another dark family mystery and I've been reading a lot of those lately so I'm looking forward to this one.  This covers the popsugar reading prompt for a book with a plant in the title or on the cover as it has both.
  • Verity by Colleen Hoover
    • I've heard great things about this book.  I'm excited to get to it.  I've been on a huge thriller kick lately and that's pretty much all I know about this book.  That's all I'm going in with so I don't spoil anything.  This covers the reading prompt for the read harder challenge for a self-published book.
  • The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
    • No explanation needed here, we all know the story of Alice and her adventure in Wonderland after falling down the rabbit hole.  This will fulfil the popsugar prompt for a book that has inspired a common phrase or idiom as "Mad as a hatter" and "Down the rabbit hole" are both inspired by this book.  I believe I purchased the UK edition and it contains both stories and some really lovely pencil type illustrations.  I've been reading a ton of retellings over the last few years, but I also really enjoy reading the original tales.
  • Dragonsworn by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    • This is the 26th book in a long running series I've been reading for well over 10 years.  I've been putting this one off for a long time because the last book was so disappointing.  I bought it hoping that this one will get things back on track and I really want to read the next book.  Having read and excerpt of book 27 I am hopeful that things are back to normal.  This will also fulfil the popsugar challenge prompt for a book with and extinct or an imaginary creature as this is a shifter series with characters that can turn into dragons and side characters that turn into other animals.

Audiobooks

As is typical I have a laundry list of audiobooks on hold at the library.  I also have a growing collection of books that I've gotten for free from various sources.  Here is what I know I can get to this month from Hoopla and my collection.  Most of these are for challenge prompts, so I'll list those if they apply.  Hopefully I can get through all of these in a month, if not they will roll over to August.
  • Shadowglass by Rin Chupeco
    • I'm reading this now and I don't think I'll finish it before the end of June.  It is the conclusion of The Bone Witch trilogy and while I'm still not clear on Tea's motivations just yet, things are slowly being unraveled.
  • Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
    • This series has been recommended so many times by fans of other authors I love.  It also frequently pops up as a recommendation on my library's overdrive site based on my reading habits.  I'm finally getting around to it as it is going to fill the popsugar prompt for a book with a title that contains "salty", "sweet", "bitter", or "spicy".  
  • The Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden
    • I've been loving this series. I love the mythology, the characters, and the writing style.  I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of this series.  
  • The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory
    • This will cover the popsugar challenge to read a book featuring a wedding.  This is not normally a book I would pick, but I've heard good things from the contemporary reviewers I follow.  It was free on Volumes in June, so it was a perfect fit.
  • Welcome to Lagos by Chibundu Onuzo
    • This has been on my TBR before but I'm making a commitment to get to this one this month.  This will fulfil the popsugar prompt for book written by a author from Asia, Africa, or South America.
  • Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
    • I have a hardback copy of this but I've heard that the author's narration of this is excellent.  I have this penciled in for the read harder prompt for a book of mythology or folklore.
  • Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton
    • I bought the paperback of this a while back because I have a pretty decent Crichton collection.  I went through a phase where I read as many of his books as I could get my hands on.  It helped that my dad had a small collection of his books at home for me to to start with.  I don't know much about this one other than it deals with pirates in Jamaica in the 1600s.  I'm going to use this for the popsugar prompt for a book published posthumously.

No comments:

Post a Comment