Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Future Classics



What books do you think with stand the test of time? 

This was last weeks prompt, but I'm going to do them out of order this month.

This got me thinking, what makes a book a classic. I looked up the definition of what makes a classic book, and overwhelmingly all of them say the same thing. A classic book is something that no matter how many times you read it it always makes you think or discover something new. A classic never finishes saying what it has to say. You can never get enough of it, and it will stand the test of time. A classic is a book that will endure regardless of when it was written or when it is read.

So what 5 books to I think will be future classics? These are in no particular order, but they all left a lasting impression on me and I think they fit the definition of a classic. I can see myself reading them over again and finding something new each time I read them. I also can see myself recommending them to others.  As I was writing this post I realized I didn't read any of these I listened to all of them on audio, and they were all great.  I've purchased all but one of them in physical copy or on e-book since finishing them.

  1. The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak - I think about this book all the time.  It had such an impact on me.  I loved the historical fiction aspect of it and it evoked such emotion in me.  I think this is a book everyone should read.

  1. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Bachman - This is another book that deals with a lot of current day issues and again evoked an emotional response.  It is another one I reflect on all the time.  Ove reminded me of people in my life, and I just loved him and his grumpy old man attitude. 

  1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - This was such a powerful book.  It spoke to so many issues and I really loved it.  These issues have been facing society forever and will continue to do so for a long time yet to come.  I thought a lot about what the characters were going through or had gone through in their lives and feel like I could re-read this and discover something new about them each time I read it.

  1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - This is a no brainer.  I think it covers a pretty significant issue in the present time and it has a strong message.  It is a great book for discussion and really makes you think about how far we've come and how far we really need to go with tolerance of those who are different from us no matter what the difference is.

  1. The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - Now this one is one that I really didn't love, but it follows the rules of a classic.  It has a lot to say, and I think if I read it again I'd discover something new.  I know the ending really made me rethink the whole book and want to re-read it with a new perspective.


I have two honorable mentions.  They are non-fiction but I think everyone should read them Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Raceby Margot Lee Shetterly and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.  They are both fantastic and important pieces of American history.

What are your top 5 future classics?  There are so many great books out there and I'd love add to my reading list.


Go check out the Top 5 Wednesday group on Goodreads and see what other people recommended and to check out other topics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment