Monday, July 23, 2018

Review: A Reaper at the Gates

A Reaper at the Gates A Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir
Narrated by: Steve West (Narrator), Fiona Hardingham (Narrator), Katherine McEwan (Narrator), Maxwell Caulfield (Narrator)
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is my favorite book of the series so far! I really loved how much the story progressed and where it left off. Even though we follow the 3 main perspectives with a cameo by the Nightbringer, they are so well done that you never lose your place in any of the storylines. I typically get confused in multi-perspective narration, but the narration in the audio was excellent. The narrators did such a great job.

This follows Laia as she is trying desperately to save the Scholars and the Tribes from the Marshalls. She is also trying to stop the Nightbringer from his plan to release the Jinn from their prison. Laia is my least favorite character; she is stubborn to the point where she grates on my nerves. She makes dumb decisions because of her stubborn nature, but she always seems to come out on top and unscathed. She is always trying to do good, but doesn’t really think about consequences. I never really cared for her and have found her to be weak and she doesn’t ever learn from her mistakes. She has some redeeming moments but I just want to yell at her most of the time.

Elias is struggling to learn his new role as the Soul Catcher, but he doesn't want to give up his life as a human. He made a deal, but he doesn’t seem thrilled to live out his days without those he loves. I’m not a fan of his relationship with Laia, I always held out hope he and Helene would get together, but I’m over that now. He does finally give in and start doing his job as Soul Catcher, and we learn more about the Jinn and the Nightbringer. I do like where his character ended up, but I was expecting more action from him. He was such an awesome warrior.

And Helene, always loyal to the Empire, is doing her best as Blood Shrike, while keeping her grudges against the Emperor and the Commandant close to her heart. I’m solidly on Team Helene. She is by far my favorite character in the series. I really like where Tahir is taking her character. I hope that she finds happiness and love in the end. I do feel like the her whole interaction with the Commandant has dragged on long enough. Helene is smart and strong, but she is never ahead of Keris. She has been bred for battle strategy and should be able to see a trap coming, yet she always walks right into them. I feel like Helene was written to have weaknesses that she didn’t need. She is so amazing; she didn’t need to be softened at all.

I loved the addition of the Nightbringer to the audio. His bits of the story add a little more to the plot and it is just enough to keep you interested in the 4th book. Parts of the plot drag a bit, and feel like they could be condensed or are confusing. He and Keris have been plotting for sometime now, and you know he’s up to something, but that’s been going on since the first book. Now he’s betrayed Laia and Helene to get to his end game and you know that our three main characters have more to do before it is over.

There are plenty of twists and turns in this book to keep you on your feet and I’m looking forward to listenting to the final installment. I’ve only listened to the series on audio and I can’t imagine finishing it any other way.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment