Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Halloween in July Book Tag

I saw this on Pages and Pens today and it is perfect for me. I love Halloween and I've read my fair share of creepy books. I started my journey into horror with R.L. Stine and similar books in 3rd or 4th grade with the Fear Street Series. I love mysteries and thrillers. Most of the time I think things are greusome or disturbing and it takes alot to scare me. I love a good pshycological thriller in book or movie format. The original creator is Krystal over at The.Book.Gypsy on Instagram. Check out Julie's video here and Krystal's post here


1. What book gave you the creeps?


Marina by Carlos Ruis Zafon

This book was creepy and haunting. It has a gothic horror vibe while still staying in the YA realm. I loved it. I really loved the writing style and the audiobook was that much more disturbing, especially since I didn't know it was a horror book. The marionettes or puppets or whatever those things were, still creep me out. Go read it to see what I mean.





2. What book gives you the best Halloween vibes?



Halloween Children by Brian James Freedman and Norman Prentiss

This is super creepy and set on Halloween. If you are into the horror genre this is right up your alley. This is not for the faint of heart, it gets pretty gruesome towards the end.








3. What’s your favorite vampire book?

Children of the Night by Dan Simmons

I read this years ago, I'm talking mid to late 90's, but it still sticks with me as one of my favorite vampire books. It features a child who is a medical anomaly and may hold the key to cancer and AIDS. It is set in Romania and features ties to the original Vlad Tepes. I really enjoyed it. I actually prefer older vampire books from the 90s and prior.





4. What book scared you so much you had to sleep with the light on?


I don't really have a specific book for this one, but if I had to pick something I would have to be something from Stephen King. I started reading King at an early age, probably in middle school. If it wasn't King who gave me nightmares it was R.L. Stine's Fear Street series which I loved in elementary school. I remember begging my mom to buy me his books from the Scholastic book order every month at school and devouring his books anytime I got my hands on them.


5. What’s your favorite book about witches/goblins/ghosts/demons?


The Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

I love this trilogy. This involves a witch and a vampire couple, lots of magic and history. It is well written and I love it. I can't wait to see the screen adaptation.










6. What book do you wish was scarier than it was?


I struggled with this one as well since it takes a good psycological plot to really get me, but after scouring a couple of scary book lists I found one.  I'm going with Cell by Stephen King.  I didn't particularly care for Cell.  I thought it was kind of dumb, but I found it on a list of Books that gave me Nightmares.







7. What’s your favorite book that takes place in October?


The Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding: A Fiendish Arrangement by Alexandra Braken

This is a middle grade book, but it is set around Halloween, involves a fiend, and was really fun. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series. I didn't think it was particularly scary, but it was a great middle grade read for the fall season.

No comments:

Post a Comment