Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Tag Tuesday Mid-Year Book Freak Out 2018



I've been seeing this tag go around YouTube lately and it caought my attention. It also seems like a tag easily transated into a blog post. It was originally a blog post done by Chami and Ely at A Book So Fathomless. They also did You-Tube versions on their Vlogs IsThatChami and Earl Grey Books.

I'm well over my reading goal for the year and it is only halfway through the year so I should have some decent answers to the prompts.

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2018. 
Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah, and I also really loved The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.  Both of these are non-fiction which isn't really my favorite genre, but these are both so wonderful.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2018. 
The Heart Forger (The Bone Witch, #2) by Rin Chupeco.  The Bone Witch was such a unique book, but I thought it was a bit slow paced.  The Heart Forger was an excellent sequel, it had action, magic, a good pace, but still kept a little mystery for the third book.  

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to. 
War Storm(Red Queen, #4) by Victoria Aveyard.  I am really looking forward to seeing how this series concludes.  I've the audio version of this on hold at the library and I'm patiently waiting for my turn to find out how it all ends.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
Muse of Nightmares(Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor.  I loved Strange the Dreamer, it is on the list as my surprise favorite of the year so far.  I listened to the audio and I loved every second of it.  

5. Biggest disappointment.  
Warm Bodies(Warm Bodies, #1) by Issac Marion.  I liked the movie but the book just wasn't what I expected.  I just didn't enjoy the book.

6. Biggest surprise. 
Strange the Dreamer(Strange the Dreamer #1) by Laini Taylor.  I loved this book so much.  This was a surprise favorite for me and I can't wait for the sequel to come out this October

7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you) .
Lucy Banks.  Lucy wrote Case of the Green-Dressed Ghost and The Case of the Deadly Doppelganger(Dr Ribero's Agency of the Supernatural #2) both are paranormal mysteries following a sort of unlikable main character that you can't help but like while he learns the ins and outs of paranormal investigation with a whimsical cast of characters.  I really enjoyed these and am looking forward to reading more from her.

8. Newest fictional crush. 
I'm going to go with Lazlo Strange from Strange the Dreamer.  I just loved him.  He's a book nerd with a sense of adventure and a thirst for knowledge.

9. Newest favorite character.
I really loved Leah Westfall from the Gold Seer Trilogy by Rae Carson.  I really loved the series and she was strong, stubborn, and self sufficient.  She had a great support system around her and I loved the mix of historical fiction and magic mixed together.

10. Book that made you cry. 
I dont' remember anything making me cry.  But things that were pretty emotional were Ryan's Bed and Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng.

11. Book that made you happy. 
As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride.  The Princess Bride is one of my all time favorite movies.  This is such an awesome backstage look into one of my my most favorite movies ever.  Plus it is extremely funny.  I highly recommend the audio.

12. Favorite book to film adaptation you saw this year. 
I didn't watch many book to movie adaptations this year, but one I did watch was The Martian.  I loved the book.  The movie was pretty good too.  I will say that I wish there was more of the humor from the book in the movie.  Mark Watney's humor was my favorite part of the book.

13. Favourite review you've written this year.
Ryan's Bed by Tijan.  I couldn't put this down.  It very gripping.  In the wake of one twin's suicide the other twin must try to pick up the pieces of her life and just try to get out of bed each day.

14. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received) 
I'm going with Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys.  I was instantly drawn to the cover of this, it is a WWII historical fiction, which I love and I can't wait to get to it.  I also love the cover on Ancestors of Avalon(Avalon, #5) by Marion Zimmer Bradley.  I love her works and the covers are are really pretty.  This one has been out of print for a long time, I was able able to get it at a used book sale leaving me very happy.

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
I have a bunch I need to read and review by the end of the year.  I've been really lucky to receive a bunch of ARCs, so those are a must.
  • Sea Witch by Sarah Henning
  • Nyxia Unleashed by Scott Reintgen
  • Ruin of Stars by Linsey Miller
  • The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton
  • Grace and Fury by Tracy Banghart
  • The Point by John Dixon
  • Broken Things by Lauren Oliver
  • Sadie by Courtney Summers
  • Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand
  • The Spellbook of Katrina Van Tassel by Alyssa Palombo




No comments:

Post a Comment