Thursday, February 1, 2018

Review: Grin and Beard by Penny Reid

Grin and Beard It Grin and Beard It by Penny Reid
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been slacking with my reviews.  But I've been tearing through audiobooks like there is no tomorrow.  Hopefully I can get caught up this weekend, but in the meantime let me say I how much I love the Winston Brother's series.  It is funny and easy to read, and I know that Penny's books will always make me smile.  When I feel a slump coming on I know I can turn to her books to pull me out, there aren't many authors I can say that about.

First off can I say that I loved Sienna and I wish she was a real person so she could be my best friend. I think she and I would get along because she is a real person, tells it like it is, has a sarcastic sense of humor, she cares about other people, and while she is a movie star she really doesn't care about fame and fortune. Sienna Diaz is a comedian, actress, and screenwriter, and she is famous. She is breaking the Hollywood mold for what beautiful is because she is what Hollywood would consider fat, but what the rest of us would consider a regular sized person. She is hilarious, strong willed, and she is amazing. She gets lost on her way to Hank's house where she will be staying while shooting her latest movie. Jethro Winson, local wildlife park ranger and reformed biker gang member and car thief, comes to Sienna's rescue and takes her to Hank's house. Hank is the local owner of the gentlemen's club and friends with several of the Winston brothers, he also happens to and old friend of Sienna's from college. Instant sparks fly between Sienna and Jethro, but Jethro is a gentleman and ensure's that she gets to where she is going safely. They meet again the following day when Sienna's missing sense of direction and lack of cell service finds her lost yet again. Her security detail is laying low and giving her space, but she's late and Jethro knows his way around. Jethro has no idea who Sienna is and she loves that her fame is actually lost on someone because she desperately needs a break and a vacation from all of the Hollywood drama and attention. Jethro just sees a pretty, funny girl that he's attracted to. Cletus, Jethro's brother, on the other hand know's who Sienna is right away and insists that she reveal her identity so no one gets hurt. Jethro is a bit thrown by her fame when she is mobbed by the townsfolk on their first date, but he comes to accept that it comes with the territory. They both continue to frustrate each other as life continues to throw obstacles in their path. In true Penny Reid fashion though, everything works out as it was meant to in the end, but she takes you on an adventure before you get there.

The whole family is back in this book, and we get to know a bit more about each of the brothers and Ashley their sister. Cletus is hilarious in this. You just never know what he's going to say or do. I loved that he was always scheming with Sienna's people. I liked that we got to see more of Billy and got some resolution to the rift between Billy and Jethro. If you've read the other 2 Winston Brother's books you'll know what I'm talking about. I can't wait to read Billy's story. I can tell its going to be a good one.

This can be read as a standalone, but I highly recommend reading Beauty and the Mustache and Truth or Beard first because they are good too.  While you are at it read the Knitting in the City series because they are just as funny. 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment