Friday, February 16, 2018

Review: The Power by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Power The Power by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This picks up where The Return leaves off, with Josie trying to get a hold on her demigod powers and Seth trying to train her. They are also trying to figure out their relationship. Seth is trying to be a good guy and do the right thing for once. All the while everyone is preparing for the next Titan attack.

Seth is the same old Seth, brash and kind of self-centered. I think he's a bit too hard on himself sometimes, but I do like that he is taking responsibility for his mistakes. I don't like that he tries to protect Josie by being a jerk and pushing her away instead of just talking to her. Josie is sweet and naive, but she's gotten over the initial shock of finding out Apollo is her father and she has the fate of the world on her shoulders. She's working really hard on harnessing her powers and learning to fight for the next battle. The work is slow, but she's determined to be a warrior.

I felt like the action scenes with the big bad guys were lacking in the action. Jen typically writes epic action scenes, but the scenes in this book just weren't as action packed and exciting. They are still great though. This book mainly focuses on Seth's inner strife and angst and his relationship with Josie. There is plenty of angst and relationship drama. We do get more adult content in The Power I expect we'll get more action in the next book. I prefer more of a balance between the action and character drama.

I was pleasantly surprised that we got a family reunion with many old characters. I also liked that we got to know more about how Josie is supposed to locate the other demigods and defeat the titans. I'm all about anything related to mythology and I loved the whole scene with the librarian. I can't wait to see what happens next in The Struggle and the conclusion The Prophecy which will be out in just a few weeks.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment