Sunday, February 25, 2018

Review: Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

Beneath the Sugar Sky Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

All I can say is I want more and I need to know what happens with the rest of the kids. I need to go back and read Every Heart a Doorway because I think it makes more sense now. I loved this. I really didn't like Every Heart a Doorway when I read it the first time, but I think after having read the next 2 books in the series it really deserves another chance. I loved the more focused storyline this has, and while there is still alot going on and I was never quite sure where the actual plot was heading at the end of the day there was actually some closure to things that happened in the first book as well as in this one. The storylines fit together nicely, and leaves the series open for more exploration but you also feel like it ended if there isn't another book. I loved the characters and that we got to see some of the original characters and get to know them a little better. I also loved that we got to travel to a few different worlds and hear about a few different worlds from the perspective of the students.

The story mainly follows a group on a quest to save Sumi, who you will remember was killed in book 1 by Jill in an attempt to return through her door.  I say mainly because there are a couple of side plots, some get wrapped up and some are left open for future exploration.  Sumi's daughter, Rini, comes from the future because things have been upset and she asks Sumi's friends from Eleanor West's School for Wayward Children to help save her mother. Sumi is accompanied on the quest by Kade and Christoper who we met previously in book 1 and newcomers Nadya and Cora who are both from waterworlds and desperately want to get back. There is alot of good representation in the cast of characters, Kade is transgender, Chris is Mexican-American and had cancer, Nadya was born without an arm, Cora is plus sized but was also a great swimmer. They all had their hardships in the real world but they all found peace and comfort, except for Kade, in their doorways. I felt like the representation was written much more naturally and it was organic to the characters in this installment. Cora had body image issues from past experiences, but as a mermaid those things made her strong. She never quite understood Rini and her nonsense, but she was willing to help just like Nadya, Kade and Chris. While their quest was quite whimsical and ridiculous, it all comes together given that they go to a nonsense world. You just have to read it.

I would still recommend this to mature readers as the content can be a bit graphic and violent, but as a grown up myself I loved it. I think the story is creative, the writing is well done, and I hope that this is not the end. I would love to hear how things end up for Kade, Cora, Chris, and even our wonderful Eleanor West.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment