Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Review: Haunted Pittsburgh

Haunted Pittsburgh Haunted Pittsburgh by Timothy Murray
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this. It is really interesting to read about places I've been that are supposedly haunted. I've visited many of the locations mentioned in this book as a Pittsburgh native, and if I haven't been to them in person I know where they are. I can say that some of these places are actually kind of creepy, either because they are old and dark or maybe there is something more super natural at work, who knows. It was a fun read. I appreciated the humerous stories about famous Pittsburghers and famous people who've visited my home city and their paranormal experiences.

This reads more like a history book. The authors just lay out whatever facts and stories they could find. If the nature of the story was comical the story ends up being funny, otherwise most of the stories about the places and people are fairly short and dry. There are plenty of pictures both of the current day locations and of the buildings when their said spooky inhabitants were alive. Each story is short so you can get through it quickly. If you are looking for a fun history lesson about Pittsburgh, from local authors (which is actually why I picked it up), I recommend it. I also understand they run the Haunted Pittsburgh tours in the fall and I hear they are great as well.

I picked this up for the 2018 reading challenge for the read something by a local author.  This was written by a couple of local attorneys turned haunted historians.  If you are looking for a history lesson about Pittsburgh and ghosts and such are of interest to you I'd check this out.  It isn't very long and was something different to read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment