Friday, February 16, 2018

Review: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

The Lies of Locke Lamora The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
Narrated by  
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It took me quite a while to get into this mainly because I had no idea what was going on. I think had I actually read the book vs listening to the audio I would have had and easier time. Let me explain, the timeline jumps from present day and to the past and there are so many characters to keep track of. Once I figured out who everyone was and what was going on with the timeline I was fine, it just took me while. Honestly, I almost gave up on this because I was so confused and lost.  I was going to return the audio in exchange for the ebook at the library, but I'm so glad I didn't.  The narrator was excellent, he had a voice for every character, and there were many.  It was so entertaining, he gave life to each and every character.

On to the story, this is about a group of orphans who through one way or another end up in the care of a priest named Chains. Chains creates the Gentlemen Bastards, a band of misfits with Locke Lamora at the lead. Locke is a con man with a flair for theatrics as he has proven to be a great actor and and a better thief. The story jumps back and forth from Locke's time as an orphan from the day he came to live with Chains and his training with the rest of the Bastards to the present day with Locke as an adult and their current scheme. Their current dealings with the politics of the criminal underworld and the actual nobility they are trying to con take them on quite the adventure. There is double crossing, magic, politics, alchemy, and violent fight scenes.

There is some hilarious dialogue in the book, I laughed out loud so many times throughout listening to this. Once I figured out who was who, and which characters were Locke's other personalities for the purpose of his con's and thieving, I was totally invested in the characters. There were some pretty violent scenes and descriptions. The world building is great and I liked Lynch's writing. I'm anxious to see what happens next and what mischief Jean and Locke get into next.

This takes care of my book challenge prompt with alliteration in the title, but you could also use it for a book with a heist, and possibly and anti-hero as Locke is not a good guy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment