Saturday, January 20, 2018

Review: We Should All Be Feminists by Chimmamanda Ngozi Adichie

We Should All Be Feminists We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this. I do wish it was a bit longer, then again it was based off of a TED talk, and I guess that is the point. I wanted more, so it should lead me to go and seek more which I see myself doing after reading this short little work. I have to admit that I really didn't know what to expect going into this, I know what feminism is supposed to mean by definition, and I know that like Adichie says in this book all of the negative connotations it has. I also know that like in everything there are always people who take things way too far to the extreme whether in support of their cause or in going against said cause.

Adichie says nothing that really isn't common sense here, everyone should be a feminist because it really is about just being a decent human. That being said decent also comes with gender equality. It means a dad could stay home with the kids while his wife works and there is no shame involved, a woman makes just as much money as her male counterparts at the same job without being told she is cold and ruthless, or a mom can stay at home with her kids because that's her choice and isn't made to feel bad about it. In today's modern culture where we are accepting of so much, we are still so set in our ways, and from this little book so many countries have very specific ideas of what men and women should do. Feminism is a dirty word. Adichie presents feminism in this book in a very consumable way, it isn't confusing or overwhelming, it just makes sense. I think this is a great conversation starter about feminism, and while I wanted more I think it was great place to start.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment