Monday, January 1, 2018

Review: The Atlantis Gene by A.G. Riddle

The Atlantis Gene The Atlantis Gene by A.G. Riddle
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I have had this book forever.  It came up as a recommendation on Amazon or Goodreads for someone who likes Dan Brown.  I'm glad I finally go around to reading it.

I liked this, but there was a lot going on in this book. I hope to continue the series, as there is a ton of potential here and I want to know where the story goes. I do think it was an interesting tale, I just didn't find it to be super fast paced like other readers did. This has all of the elements of books that I like science, history, lost civilizations, and everything else that you want from an espionage thriller/mystery type of book.  This is reminiscent of Dan Brown's books, so fan's of Deception Point and Digital Fortress should definitely check this one out. 

This was also book 51 of 52 for the reading challenge I was working through for 2017.  This was my espionage thriller.  I don't think that played into my feelings for the book, but I think it may have played into the slump I was in the last week of the year and the but of a slump I'm in now.  I really fought to finish my last 2 books.  I think I was in a bit of a fatigue at that point.

Most of the time I had no idea what was going on, and normally I don't mind not being able to tell what's going to happen in a book. I actually prefer it. This just had way to much going on. There were so many plot lines going on it felt jumbled and confusing. Things get resolved conveniently way to often, and I was left rolling my eyes way to often for this to be a great book. The clunky plot lines made the pacing too slow for my taste. Mystery and thriller type books should be fast paced and hold your attention, I kept finding myself wanting to read something else because I couldn't stay engaged with the confusing plot and the flat characters. The super smart doctor out to cure autism is also very ditzy and a damsel in distress for most of the book. I wanted her to be a little stronger and not rely so much on the male lead. David the hero was robotic and cold, I didn't find him compelling at all. The romance between David and Kate was pretty cringe worthy and unnecessary in my opinion. I think that was also a big problem I had with this book, I didn't like any of the characters. I have a hard time reading a book when I don't like any of the characters. I didn't like either main character.

All of the name switching and keeping track of who was who was very clever and also very confusing. I feel like I needed to write it all down so I could keep track of all of the characters.

Overall, this wasn't bad, I just wanted this to be a book that I couldn't put down. I think I expected that and I was a bit disappointed when it wasn't that. I do plan on continuing the series as I am interested to see where it goes.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment