Sunday, September 20, 2026

Review: Until I Remember by Karla Sorensen

Until I Remember Until I Remember by Karla Sorensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC and ALC of this book via the author and Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

Amnesia isn't a trope I've come across very often, however I think the author did a great job using it with this couple. While Grant remembers everything, while Mercy has lost a year of her life and can't comprehend that there is a world where they would have gotten married and fallen in love. She remembers hating her brother's best friend, her brother's death, loving her job as a teacher, but nothing about something so significant as getting married and falling in love with a man she can't stand.

I enjoyed Mercy and Grant getting to know each other again. I really liked that he let her choose every step and take things at her own pace. She is initially very distrusting of everything he tells her and fights him at every turn. There are some moments when you can't understand what he likes about her, but I would be pretty adversarial and scared in her situation as well. Grant is so patient with her and my heart broke for him in those moments when she is mean, because he is trying to protect her and their relationship until she comes to the realization that they had something special even if she can't remember. Once she accepts that they could have had a real relationship and feelings for one another, Mercy lets down her guard and begins to get to know Grant again. While they have always pushed each others buttons, which leads to great chemistry in the bedroom, she realizes that there has always been something more simmering just underneath and she can have it if she wants it.

I will say that I thought it was strange that despite her having a pretty significant head injury and complete loss of memory there was no mention of any sort of therapy or medical intervention to help her recovery her memories. It wasn't ever discussed or brought up. They just kind of dealt with it and hoped or assumed that Mercy's memory would return someday. I didn't mind while I was reading the book, I enjoyed it, but as I was writing this and was doing a bit more critical thinking that thought came to mind.

Shane East was the perfect choice for Grant, one because he is one of my favorite narrators, and two because his English accent worked perfectly for Grant. Samantha Brentmore did a wonderful job as Mercy and the duet narration was excellent.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment