Thursday, September 10, 2026

Review: Cemetery Boys: Espíritu by Aiden Thomas

Cemetery Boys: Espíritu Cemetery Boys: Espíritu by Aiden Thomas
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ALC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This takes place directly after Cemetery Boys, so I would highly recommend reading that first.  You will want an understanding of what happened and who Julian and Yadriel are before reading this.

In the aftermath of being sacrificed and no being welcomed as a brujx, Julian is coming to terms with being able to see spirits and communicate with them.  Fortunately, his boyfriend Yadriel grew up knowing all about spirits and has also recently been accepted as a full brujx.  Julian is struggling with balancing his magical life which he has to keep secret from his real life family and responsibilities.  His family misses him and wants to keep him safe, so they are naturally concerned when he starts keeping secrets and disappears at odd times.  When a new brujx shows up with abilities that align with what is going on with Julian and his powers.  Julian thinks Ángel will be a great friend and ally.  Their methods don't exactly align with what Julian and Yadriel know about spirits, and strange things start happening.

I enjoyed this, but I definitely enjoyed Cemetery Boys much more.  I felt like the plot was a little all over the place.  There wasn't enough of Ángel's backstory for it to make sense and when we finally get to the resolution there weren't enough details.  Julian and Yadriel's relationship was sweet and I loved them together, but Julian didn't treat his family and other friends very well and they gave him way too many chances.  I feel like they forgave him way to easily for all of his misdeeds and secret keeping.  You have to suspend your belief a bit as there is little to no adult supervision as things go wrong around our teenagers.  This is often an element in YA novels, but even as a kid I always asked myself where the grownups were when reading YA or watching TV in these situations.  Overall, this was good, but it didn't live up to my expectations 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment