Scion by James IslingtonMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.
This was an interesting book about an assassin turned protector. Azure is normally contracted to take out "lifers" aka people with so much money they can afford a treatment that will allow them to live forever. He works for an outfit that puts hits out on the ultrawealthy for one reason or another, he doesn't really care about the details. He has some weird genetic condition that allows him to be compatible with some technology that makes him better at his job than most of his kind, and he doesn't really have emotions about it one way or the other. Protection jobs aren't really his thing, but he doesn't really get to pick and choose his jobs. This job just may be his last based on who the client is and who is after her.
This was action packed and at times violent and gory. It was just OK for me. I loved Jasa and Azure's banter. I really enjoyed Azure's character and the premise, but I wanted more character development and world building. This was only about 250 pages so we got more action in lieu of development, which I hope to see as the series progresses. You can only fit so much in a shorter book and I understand that. The ending sets us up for more adventures with Azure and Jasa, and I'm interested to see where this goes in the future.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment