Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Review: Spells for Forgetting by Adrienne Young

Spells for Forgetting Spells for Forgetting by Adrienne Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, however I opted to listen to the final production version of the audiobook.  I've also purchased a copy of the e-book since publication.  As always all opinions are my own.

I really enjoyed this.  This is mainly told from the perspectives of the two main characters Emery and August, but there are additional perspectives of a few of the other characters that play a large part in the plot.  The audiobook has a full cast narration, which I really enjoyed.  It was nice having a unique voice for each of the player.

This follows Emery and really the town of Saiorse in the wake of a devastating fire and murder that occurred 14 years ago.  The orchard that the town is famous for has recovered, but the people have never forgotten what happened that night.  Emery's boyfriend at the time, August was accused of murdering her best friend but they were never able to prove it.  August left the island town after being branded a murderer, but he has returned to bury is mother's ashes.  August doesn't want any trouble, but his appearance in town uncovers secrets, lies, and betrayals that hold the truth about what really happened that night.

I really enjoyed the mix of magic and mystery held within the pages of this book.  The magical aspect played well into the character development and the plotline.  It is atmospheric and you really feel the island almost come to life with the little things that occur throughout the book and the rituals that the people of the island practice.  I really enjoyed trying to piece together what happened to Lily and who murdered her.  I'll admit I had it figured out before the reveal but I think the author did a good job tangling up all of the storylines to keep you turned around until it was time for the truth to come out.  I love a mystery book that gives you just enough information to ask "Was it this person", "What about this scenario" and that keeps you guessing.  This delivered.  

If you are looking for an entertaining mystery that has a bit of magic, give this a listen.  I hardly put it down once I started.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment