Saturday, March 11, 2023

Review: Silver Under Nightfall by Rin Chupeco

Silver Under Nightfall Silver Under Nightfall by Rin Chupeco
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, however I am really behind on reviews and opted to borrow the audiobook from the library instead.  I really enjoyed the narrator for this, he did a good job bringing Remy and the rest of the cast to life.  As always all opinions are my own.  This book was released back in September 2022 and is available in multiple formats via multiple retailers.

I really enjoyed this adult paranormal romance.  It is a tad on the long side, but the pace and action are there the entire time to keep you engaged the entire time.  I've read several of the author's YA books and this is definitely m ore on the adult side when it comes to the intimate scenes and the violence and horror aspects.  This book has a bit of everything going on there is court intrigue, a little bit of a mystery aspect, some science, and of course vampires and vampire hunters.  It thing Chupeco did a good job telling the tale and brining it all together in the end.  I'm very much looking forward to the next book in the series.

This follows Remy, son of a duke and vampire hunter.  Due to the suspicious circumstances of his birth and his father's status amongst the Reapers (the vampire hunters) Remy is an outcast among the Reapers.   He is sent to do the jobs no one wants to do, and he is good at it.  He longs for his father's approval, so when the opportunity comes along to serve the Queen and make an alliance with a vampire lord and lady who are brokering peace between humans and vampires Remy is tasked to accompany them.  The land is plagued with a new strain of vampire that is impossible to kill and the unlikely trio is determined to uncover the source of this new strain and stop the spread.  As Remy gets to know his companions Zidan and Xiaodan, they all begin to develop feelings for each other which only complicates their mission as they uncover the truth behind the plague and who is pulling the strings.

I thought this had good world building and good character development.  Remy started out a bit unsure of himself.  As the story progresses he becomes a bit more comfortable with himself and his desires, especially as he learns of all of the deceit and betrayal that has surrounded his life.  I thought the paranormal/fantasy elements were well done.  I haven't read a good vampire book in a long time and I really enjoyed this one.  I liked the concept of the covens/courts and look forward to seeing how that plays out as the rest of the story unfolds.  I also appreciated the scientific aspect of the book.  I always like when there is a flushed out reason, realistic or not, for what is happening and the author gives us that with respect to the Rot.

While I enjoyed the relationship that developed between Remy, Zidan, and Xiaodan, I could have done without the sex scenes between them.  I don't feel that they really added to the plot other than to add a level of smut to the book and make it more adult.  They aren't super graphic so the level of spice is pretty low, so I feel like those scenes could have almost been closed door or fade to black. The relationship that develops between the three of them didn't really need the lust filled intimate scenes.

Overall, I really enjoyed this and I'm very much looking forward to Court of Wanderers.  I'm only disappointed that it took me so long to read this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment