Saturday, March 11, 2023

Review: The Genius of Women: From Overlooked to Changing the World by Janice Kaplan

The Genius of Women: From Overlooked to Changing the World The Genius of Women: From Overlooked to Changing the World by Janice Kaplan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, however it has been on my shelf for so long I opted to listen to the audiobook.  Thank you to Dutton for providing me with an ARC, I'm sorry it took me so long read it.

The audiobook is narrated by the author and she does a wonderful job.  This was well written and well researched.  Given that Kaplan has experience as a reporter, producer, journalist, and writer it is no wonder that this was so well crafted and performed.  While I don't agree with all of the points that she  argues as to how we can make more women into geniuses, there is evidence to support that the women she interviewed became geniuses by doing those things she advocates for.  They in fact followed those steps to get where they are today, and in talking with my own mentors and industry leaders they followed similar steps.  It is unfortunate, but we shouldn't have to just work harder and put our heads down to get identified as smart and capable and advocate for change once we "make it".  We don't ask our male counterparts to do anything different.  I do agree that women who are supported and encouraged have better success in STEM fields or whatever they are interested in.  There is vast evidence to show that stereotypes and bigotry are learned behaviors, and this book shows several examples of places where women were held back and where they were allowed to flourish.  I don't think we need to tell kids of any gender that they can't be good at any subject.  They should all be encouraged to pursue whatever subjects they are interested and encouraged to pursue their passions and talents.

I enjoyed learning about the women who have contributed to their fields of expertise, but I hadn't heard of many of them.  That was kind of the point of the book though. Kaplan points out that throughout history, even through more recent times, women's accomplishments are overshadowed by their male counterparts and they are often unknown.  Men take credit for their work or leave their names off of documents that they contributed to or wrote completely.  Without the celebrity, the women weren't considered geniuses because no one knew who they were.

Overall, I enjoyed this book.  I learned a lot.  Much of what the author pointed out in this book really resonated with me.  I've experienced many of the scenarios in my life.  I think this is a great addition to your non-fiction reads when it comes to learning about women in history, bias, and some awesome women that are doing great things to break down barriers now.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment