Thursday, April 11, 2024

Review: The Science of Weird Shit: Why Our Minds Conjure the Paranormal by Chris French

The Science of Weird Shit: Why Our Minds Conjure the Paranormal The Science of Weird Shit: Why Our Minds Conjure the Paranormal by Chris French
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an audio ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

I love weird stuff, especially if it has a paranormal spin.  I am also a believer in science and data driven analysis, so while I'm open to the possibility of the weird and unexplained, I am also a skeptic.  This book aims to explain coincidence, ghost and alien encounters, sleep paralysis, reincarnation, out of body and near death experiences and more with a scientific and factual approach.

The book is filled with lists, which doesn't translate well to audio.  I'm not sure if the final version will have an accompanying PDF, but that would be helpful visual for some readers as the narrator often reads the criteria used for debunking or classifying a certain type of event.  I found that hard to follow at times while listening.  I found myself often wishing I also had a copy of the print book to reference as I went along as there are alot of facts and lists I wanted to revisit.  I feel like this is a book I would have enjoyed more in print.

Overall, I found the concepts interesting but the delivery and presentation to be a bit dry.  I was expecting a bit more comedy from something with such a catchy title, and perhaps it was but the comedy didn't resonate with me.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment