Friday, November 24, 2023

Review: We Are the Crisis by Cadwell Turnbull

We Are the Crisis We Are the Crisis by Cadwell Turnbull
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, however I listened to the audiobook as I did with book 1. As with all of my reviews, all opinions are my own.

This picks up a few years after No Gods, No Monsters with the world still reeling after the revelation that the supernatural monsters from myth do exist in the real world. Activist groups form for and against monsters living within society and the politics parallel what we see today regarding various minority groups. The author does a great job using the supernatural and horror elements in this series as allegory to discuss very real social commentary issues. The world building is very well done.

This is told in a non-linear fashion as the story unfolds and isn't always told in the same dimension as the author uses the concept of the multiverse to tell the story. I'm not sure if there is another book, I hope there is because I have alot of unanswered questions. You absolutely need to read the first book before diving into this book, as the world and way the story is told is complex. There is also a large cast of characters to keep track of so wouldn't start in the middle. I had a harder time keeping track of what was going on in this second installment as I did in the first book. The storyline keeps getting more and more complex. The ending is a bit open ended for my tastes, but I do believe this is a trilogy so I will patiently wait to find out how things play out. Turnbull is a masterful writer who uses fantasy and horror in a unique away to tell a powerful story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment