Sunday, November 5, 2023

Review: Next-Door Nemesis: Fall in love with this delightfully steamy, enemies-to-lovers, small-town rom-com! by Alexa Martin

Next-Door Nemesis: Fall in love with this delightfully steamy, enemies-to-lovers, small-town rom-com! Next-Door Nemesis: Fall in love with this delightfully steamy, enemies-to-lovers, small-town rom-com! by Alexa Martin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via the Berkley Besties program and Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This follows down on her luck screenwriter Collins after a horrible breakup sends her back to her hometown in Ohio.  She had big dreams to make it big in California and leave Ohio behind.  I can totally relate to that, I said I was never coming home when I left for college and I live an hour from where I grew up.  Collins former best friend, Nate, happens to life in the same housing plan as her parents and is a successful realtor and a member of the HOA and he takes his duties a little too serious sometimes.  Nate and Collins had a falling out in high school and they both are holding on to some deep rooted feelings that have had a long time to fester.  Collins loves nothing but to get under Nate's skin, and in her latest attempt to rattle him she decides to run for the recently vacated HOA president position.  As they try to outwit and undermine each other at every turn, they start to get to know each other again and rekindle their friendship and chemistry they had as teens.

This was a cute frenemies-to-lovers second chance romance read.  It was quick and had some fun banter.  I really loved Collins relationship with her parents and her friendships with Ashleigh and Ruby.  Collins read a little immature and petty for my personal taste in a main character  Some of her behavior and the way she spoke was more relatable to a teenager or college student than an adult in her late 20s or early 30s.  Nate on the other hand takes himself too seriously.  I think for some it will add to the comedy of the book, and it will appeal to a broad range of readers.  I do think that having a war over the HOA president position is hilarious.  That is certainly a plotline I haven't read before and it made for a nice backdrop for our main characters to get to know each other again and rekindle their feelings for one another.

If you are looking for a fun rom-com that you can devour in a weekend pick this up.  I enjoyed the quirky characters and comedic situations we find out characters in throughout the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment