Saturday, November 11, 2023

Review: An Ordinary Violence by Adriana Chartrand

An Ordinary Violence An Ordinary Violence by Adriana Chartrand
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Edelweiss, all opinions are my own.

What did I just read?  I know there was a message here, but I struggle to understand what the author is trying to tell me.  Our main character Dawn was struggling with grief, oppression, poverty, and so much more.  I struggled with the pacing of the book and the way the chapters jumped around in the timeline.  At 50% into the book I felt like nothing had happened and I was struggling to understand the various plot elements that had been thrown at me and had yet to be resolved.  The chapters told in random points in Dawn life that eventually tell the story of various traumas she has experienced that explain some of her despair, but the random paranormal elements aren't explained well and felt out of place.

The synopsis of this book promises a horror book, but I struggled to find the horror elements.  There are some random paranormal elements in the book  that are symbolic of Dawn's pain and suffering.  This doesn't have the suspense and scares that I was anticipating from a horror novel, it is more real world, real person horror.  I really felt that the paranormal aspect could have been expanded and explained a bit more.

Overall, I think Chartrand's writing is very poetic and beautiful, and I would like to see more of it in the future but this story didn't fit my preference for a horror novel.  

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment