Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Review: Gender Is Really Strange by Teddy G. Goetz

Gender Is Really Strange Gender Is Really Strange by Teddy G. Goetz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This was a really creative way to present non-fiction topics.  This is the first book I've read in the Really Strange Series, but the concept is fascinating.  It takes everyday topics that we talk about or should be talking about and puts them into graphic novel format backed up with factual information.   The format makes the information approachable and easy to digest.

This installment focuses on gender obviously, and addresses when the concept of gender norms were accepted by society and presents and interesting points for nature vs nurture.   I enjoyed the various facts presented around science, various cultures, and society with relation to gender.  I learned quite a bit from this small book.

I really enjoyed the art in the book and would have loved more pages.  There is only so much that can be delivered in around 40 pages and I would have happily consumed more.  I'm a data person so I would have loved more charts, figures, and data.   You can tell from the citations/endnotes that a ton of research went into the creation of this novel, I  would have loved to see more of it come to life on the pages.

The creators did a great job in portraying that gender is complex and strange when you think about it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment