Saturday, September 2, 2023

Review: Fly with Me by Andie Burke

Fly with Me Fly with Me by Andie Burke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this boo via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This was a really cute Sapphic romance.  It follows an ER nurse and a pilot through the trials and tribulations of dating and relationships.  Relationships are something they both carry some baggage around, but having a relationship is something that looks good for both of them right now.   Olive saved a man's life on her flight, and it is generating big news for Stella's airline.  Stella desperately wants to make Captain in her male dominated pilot profession.   It just so happens that  Olive and Stella have a connection, and Stella proposes that they use it to their advantage by fake dating.

This was a bit on the angsty and dramatic side for my tastes.  While I loved Olive and Stella together, there were a bit too many dramatic plotlines and tropes in the mix.  You had Olive's brother, her family, her ex, her mental health, and her relationship with Stella and I think a few of them were a bit underdeveloped and left unresolved.  Alone these are all great topics to explore, but I wish the author had chosen one or two to really dig into in addition to the romance  I would have liked to see a resolution with the ex and the family, but I personally didn't feel like we really got closure on those items.  I also wanted more of Stella's dad, he was delightful!  I did however feel like her relationship with Stella had great development and we really got to see Olive and Stella grow both as individuals and as a couple as their relationship went from fake to something more.

Overall I thought this was well written and loved the main characters.  This does deal with some heavy topics.  I also appreciated that this was written by a nurse (my mom is a retired nurse) and that she didn't shy away from the tough topics.  This is a solid debut and I look forward to reading more from the author in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment