Thursday, June 1, 2023

Review: Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros

Fourth Wing Fourth Wing by Rebecca Yarros
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this! I got the pretty hardback with the sprayed edges as a Mother's Day gift, then I started to hear mixed reviews. I was hesitant to read the book because it quickly became super hyped up and some of the reviews I had seen did not paint this in a good light. My hold on the audiobook came in at the library and I'm so glad I didn't listen to the negative reviews and formed my own opinion. This has everything I love about YA fantasy but with a new adult cast and there are dragons. It has great world building, excellent pacing, and I loved the characters.

This more of a fantasy romance but there is a nice balance between the fantasy elements and romance elements. I think this would fall in the new adult category given the ages of the characters, they are all in their early 20s. The cast is sometimes immature, but again they are in their early 20s and being asked to participate in tasks that may end their lives daily. I can understand why some people felt there were some eye rolling moments, but I didn't mind at all.
This does have some spicy scenes but they really don't start kicking up until about the 80% mark. The action scenes are fast paced and well described. That final battle scene had me on the edge of my seat. There is alot of violence and death, as Violet and her fellow students train for war.

I did not see the twist at the end coming. I normally hate cliffhangers, but that was the best kind of cliffhanger. The book itself ends and gives you closure, but the author leaves us with a new storyline brewing and chomping at the bit for the next book. I cannot wait for the next book! I really love what the author did with the plot throughout the book and while there are lots of things unanswered, we really got to know Violet and this sets up the series nicely.

I own a copy of the hardback but listened to the audiobook which I borrowed from the library. I thought the main narrator was awesome, she did a wonderful job voicing the cast of characters. You could feel tension and emotion in the scenes. Giving us Xedan's POV with a different narrator was a nice touch for the last chapter. I hope that they are both onboard to narrate the future installments! This is roughly 21 hours long (500 pages), but I listened to it in about 3 days, I basically couldn't put down.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment