Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Review: Dragon Springs & Other Things: A Short Story Collection: Book I by Raven Oak

Dragon Springs & Other Things: A Short Story Collection: Book I Dragon Springs & Other Things: A Short Story Collection: Book I by Raven Oak
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

This is my first time reading from the author, but it certainly will not be my last!  I love a good short story collection and this was a great introduction to the author's work.  There are 11 stories if I counted correctly, ranging from a only a few pages and a few that are much longer.  I don't think there was one that I didn't enjoy.  I love a short story that makes me wish I had a full novel and most of these did just that, but all of them are complete and stand on their own.  

I really enjoyed the variety of different types of stories included in this collection.  I also appreciated the little blurb at the end explaining what inspired the story, if it was published elsewhere previously, or if it is connected to another work so you can check that out as well.  While I really liked all of the stories some of the standouts were were Amaskan and Alive which follow the same woman, Peace Be With You Friend which is cool story about the end of the world and friendship, Ringers which is a dark and magical story set at Christmas time, and of course the title story Dragon Springs and Other Things about a tinkerer who builds a dragon.

This will be out in a few days on June 1, 2023 and there is another installment of short stories due out in July.  This installment is more fantastical and magical while the next one is a little more sci-fi flavored.  Sci-fi and Fantasy are my favorite genre and  I loved the variety of the stories in this collection and I expect the next installment will be just as varied and interesting.  I have an ARC of that collection as well and I'm every excited to get to it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment