Monday, October 4, 2021

Review: The Keeper of Night

The Keeper of Night The Keeper of Night by Kylie Lee Baker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This story was really interesting.  I love anything that is steeped in lore and myth, and this delivered.  I also love learning about other cultures through books, even if it is fictional.  It will often drive me to look things up on my own as this book did with regards to the Yokai and Shinigami.  It is interesting to see how various cultures approach death and the different entities that maintain the balance of life and death in each.  It is also really fascinating to see how each culture represents the afterlife.  What does that have to do with this book you might ask?  Our main character Ren is half Shinigami and have Reaper.  The Shinigami serve the goddess of death in Japan, while the Reapers serve the god of death in Britain.  Ren was raised in London, but she was never really accepted because of her mixed heritage and powers.  She flees London with her brother in tow hoping to find acceptance in Japan, only to find that she has to prove herself to the Goddess there before she can serve as a true Shinigami.

This story was very unique and kind of dark.  I think if you liked Katherine Arden's Winternight Trilogy, you will like this.  It has that same dark, folklore vibe.  Some of the spirits are harmless, while others are truly terrifying.  This focuses on three specific Yokai that Ren has been sent to dispatch because they have upset the balance, but as Ren, her brother Neven, and their companion Hiro complete each quest, she realizes all may not be as it seems.  Ren also has to question her own motivations and we'll call it humanity though she isn't human.  There is definitely a struggle between her light and dark sides.  Neven has always kept her grounded, and he's even a bit squeamish when it comes to his Reaper nature, but Ren has never had an issue when it comes to her duties and dealing with death and violence.  Neven is seen as weak when he questions the actions of his kind, and when Ren finally feels she's found her place among the Shinigami she pushes him away.  When she realizes that there may have been something to Neven's compassion it may be too late for redemption and forgiveness.  I guess we'll find out in the next book.

I thought the world building in this was fantastic!  The scenes were described in excellent detail.  That being said be warned that there are several dark, violent, gory scenes in this book.  I also thought the magic system was explained very well.  Ren has the abilities of both a Reaper and a Shinigami, and while you'd think that would make her extra useful it is part of her character arc that makes her unwanted and outcast in both societies.  I really enjoyed the dichotomy of Neven and Hiro as kind of the Angel and Devil on Ren's shoulders throughout the book, one pulling her to the light and one pulling her toward the dark.  Ultimately she makes her own decisions in the end, but they were both there with her the entire way.  I'm really anxious to see where the next part of the story goes.  I was happy to see that this was a duology, but I thought this book ended nicely and could stand by itself.  While there are things left open, it does conclude nicely and doesn't leave you with some great big twist or cliffhanger.

I received both a digital and an audio ARC of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.  I felt the audio narrator did a good job with the narration, however I would have liked a bit more distinction between the characters.  I think that's more of a personal preference.  Her actual performance was good, and I enjoyed listening to the book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment