Saturday, October 9, 2021

Review: Canary by Tijan

Canary: A mafia/cartel enemies-to-lovers standalone. Canary: A mafia/cartel enemies-to-lovers standalone. by Tijan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I'm going to be in the minority here, but this one didn't work for me. I've enjoyed many of Tijan's books over the last several years, and I really enjoyed Bennett Mafia, which is why I thought I'd like this one. Unfortunately, this one didn't click for me like that one did.  This is a standalone, but there are references to Bennett Mafia in the book. You do not have to have read that to read this one.  The mentions are minor and you do not need any backstory to follow along.

There is a ton of action, so if you are into action packed books this one may be for you. Both of the main characters are a bit cold and devoid of emotion, but given the amount of violence and trauma they experience on the daily I can understand that aspect of their personalities, but when it comes to their relationship I didn't feel the chemistry between them. I couldn't connect with either of them, which is unusual when reading a Tijan book. The characters are typically filled with emotion and you can connect with them on some level, even when they are bad guys.

The plot was fine, but I found it a bit repetitive. As I said there is quite a bit of action and violence in this book, but much of it is the same in every chapter. There were several spots in the book that I felt were good ending points, but there were still a significant amount of pages left and I felt that the book could have been a bit shorter. There were also a few plot points that felt a bit disjointed from the main plot. They make sense to the main characters backstory, but by the time that reveal comes, it felt too late in the story.

I was provided an ARC via the author, all opinions are my own. I do look forward to reading future offerings from Tijan.  This book was published on October 4, 2021.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment