Sunday, October 17, 2021

Review: Serendipity by Kristen Proby

Serendipity Serendipity by Kristen Proby
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC, all opinions are my own.

This is the final installment of the Bayou Magic series. While I think you could read this as a standalone, I do highly recommend reading the previous books in the series first. There is quite a bit of background information that you would want to know before diving into this story. The author does do a good job giving you enough to go on, but to get the full picture of what is going on with Horace and everyone else in the story you'd want to start with Shadows and then Spells.

Like the other books this focuses on one of the Landry Sisters and her beloved. If you've read the other books you will remember Daphne and Jackson and their love-hate relationship. We aren't sure why Daphne is mad at Jack, but we know there is a history there, in this installment we learn what happened between them and how they will find their way back to each other. Daphne, Millie, and Brielle have been battling their father Horace for the last few years and he is back to his evil ways. They thought they had more time before they had to banish him for good, but he is powerful and he's found a way back to the mortal plane to practice his gruesome ways and torment his daughters. This time he has chosen to focus his efforts on Daphne who is terrified of him.

As Daphne and Jackson spend more time together, their romance reignites and their powers grow stronger. They also start spending more time with the other 2 couples. It is important that the 6 work together to defeat Horace, and they use all of the resources at their disposal to figure out how they can banish him for good. They have to use all of their unique gifts as well as gifts from other talented witches if they want to win the fight between good and evil. I thought the spells and powers were all really unique and the magic was well explained.

This installment is a little more graphically violent than book 2, but a little less so than book 1. Horace is back to torturing people so if you didn't enjoy that in book 1 I'd skim or skip those paragraphs. As a horror reader, I've read worse, the scenes aren't really that bad, but I feel like fair warning should be given if you aren't a fan of gore at all.

I really loved this series and I think the author has done a great job branching out into the PNR genre. I'm really excited to see what she comes up with next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment