Friday, October 29, 2021

Review: Crank by Adriana Locke

Crank Crank by Adriana Locke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an audible code from the author, all opinions are my own.

I thought the narrators did a great job with the narration and the voices of the characters.  My one complaint about the narration was the constant chuckling and giggling throughout the book.  I appreciate them trying to act out the book, but I found the excessive chuckling really distracting.  I've really enjoyed them both as narrators of Adriana Locke's other audiobooks and they didn't chuckle or giggle every time there was banter or the author wrote "Walker chuckled".  I think it took away from the audio experience for me because they are both awesome narrators.   That being said I checked my print copy of the book and there isn't overuse of "haha" and laughing in general.  I think it was just artistic license with the production of the audio.  Take that with a grain of salt, you may not even notice it while listening or it may not bother you.   This is one I think I would have enjoyed more in print.  On a positive note, I did really like that the narrators actually swapped in an out when a male or female character were talking.  You don’t normally see that in a dual narrated book, typically the female narrator still voices the male parts and vice versa.  Here the male narrator stepped in during the Sienna chapters and voiced the male dialogue and vice versa.  I really liked that and wished more audiobooks did that.  

On to the actual book which is what I'm here to review.  This is features insta-love, enemies to lovers, and opposites attract.  It takes Sienna and Walker to decide that they like each other enough to get together, however that doesn't stop them from instantly having impure thoughts about each other the second they meet.  That being said this book is definitely NSFW or the after-school pick-up line.  You will want to wear headphones if you don't want anyone to hear the racy content of this one.  The narrators actually did a good job with the intimate scenes and putting the passion into those scenes.  This is one of the more steamy books I've read from this author.  Sienna is outgoing and Walker is broody.  We don't find out why he is closed off and grumpy until nearly the end of the book, which causes quite a bit of drama between our two main characters.  The banter between the main and side characters was actually really good.  I’m looking forward to reading the rest of the series and getting to know more of the Gibson family.  

This is a standalone, but there are mentions to the Landry family.  I haven’t read the Landry series yet, I started with the Masons.  You don’t need to read the Mason or the Landry family series to get into this.  If you like to read things in order so you know who all of the other characters mentioned are, you would want to start with Sway.  I plan to tackle that series next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment