Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Review: Horrorstör

Horrorstör Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was actually pretty funny!  

I didn't know what to expect after reading [book:The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires|44074800], and not really enjoying it.  This was highly recommended and I really enjoyed it.  It was dark, while also bringing a unique sense of comedy.  I loved the whole Orsk concept of the store being a knock off of Ikea.  Having been to and gotten lost in Ikea many times myself, he really got the whole Scandinavian furniture store down in his fictional version in Cleveland.  I think he also did a really good job capturing the "culture" of the Orsk company.

This follows Amy, an employee aka partner, at Orsk.  She kind of hates her job in retail, really doesn't like her boss Basil, but she suffers through it for the paycheck.  Unfortunately, Orsk has lots of corporate sayings about how their employees should behave and act if they want to be successful and part of the Orsk family and culture.  Amy hates all of it and things it is all BS.  She feels beaten down by life so she pretends and goes through the motions so Basil puts through her transfer to a different store.  When Basil approaches her with an opportunity to put through her transfer, catch a potential vandal, and make some extra cash under the table, Amy agrees to work an overnight shift with Basil and coworker Ruth Anne.  During the night the unofficial security team finds 3 unauthorized visitors in the store, and then things start to get weird.  This plays on your emotions and definitely hits all the right chords with the creepy factor.

If you are looking for a horror read with some comic relief during the spooky season this year I highly recommend this!  It has some creepy parts, some weird parts, and I really liked the dark humor and setting.

I received an ARC of this book via Edelweiss+, but opted to listen to the final copy of the audiobook.  The opinions stated in this review are my own.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment