Thursday, March 21, 2019

Review: In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire

In an Absent Dream In an Absent Dream by Seanan McGuire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

While still a good story, this was not my favorite of the series. It wasn't as whimsical as the others, it was far more serious with less action and adventure. This felt more character driven than plot driven which isn't my taste. This is still extremely imaginative and well written. It is still enjoyable and fits right in with the rest of the series. I recommend it for fans of the series and I'm looking forward to more books in the series. Unlike the other books in the series, this focuses on one character instead of visiting other characters at the school or somehow ending up back at the school with the other characters.

This is the backstory for Katherine Lundy, who if you recall is the child therapist at Eleanor West's school for wayward children who have gone through doors and can't quite adjust to their original lives. We learn about Lundy's experience in the Goblin Market and the choice she was faced regarding her door. Lundy grew up as a lonely young girl, but found her true identity in the world of the Market. As she traveled between the land of the Goblin Market and the "real world" she learned about fair value, trade, friendship, family, and love. In the end she must provide fair value in one world, but she must give up the other world completely because she can't provide fair value in both.

As always McGuire paints such a vivid picture of the characters and the world they are in. While I didn't love Lundy, I also don't think I was supposed to. She was detached and cold for much of the book only showing warmth to The Archivist and Moon, and then at the end to her little sister Diana. Her closed off demeanor is part of the reason why she ended up in the Goblin Market, she was lonely and detached from the world. I don't think you were supposed to love her. The rest of the characters aren't the focus of the story and they are well developed for the roles they play. The world building as always is great. I really love how Seanan McGuire tells a story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment