Friday, March 8, 2019

Review: The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

The Bear and the Nightingale The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this! I really enjoyed learning about a new type of mythology/folklore from Eastern Europe. I don't know much about Russian folklore, but this has inspired me to pick up more books on the subject matter. I want to know more after reading about Vasya and the house spirits and other beings she encounters in the tale.

I listened to the audiobook and it was wonderful. The pacing of the book is slower, but I didn't find it to be a slow moving book at all. I was completely entranced by the story the entire time. I loved getting to know Vasya and her family. I will say that it took me quite a while to figure out the characters because they all go by multiple names. I find that easier to do on the page versus listening to the book because I can flip back and forth, however I was quickly able to figure out who was who.

Arden does an amazing job building the setting and the atmosphere of the book. I felt like I was in the forest with Vasya. Vasya is a wild, spunky, independent girl in a time when girls are supposed to be quite, well kept, and reserved. She can see and talk to spirits during a time when magic is dying and Christianity is taking over. Her mother had magic in her blood and knew Vasya would be special. Vasya's father does his best to foster Vasya in her mother's memory, but he also has to keep up appearances and his role as lord of a small Russian village. Vasya's step mother is very pious, but she sees "demons" everywhere she turns, not realizing that she also possesses a bit of magic. When a young, enthusiastic priest is sent to their village, Vasya must keep up the offerings to the local spirits as the townsfolk begin to abandon the oldways in favor of Christianity. The townspeople continue to befall more accidents of the paranormal type as the spirits don't have the strength to protect the people because they are no longer being cared for by the people. Behind the scenes a great battle of the gods is building, and Vasya is at the center of it. Meanwhile the priest finds himself caught between being obsessed with Vaysa and her salvation and just being obsessed with her. Vasya just wants to be left alone to do as she pleases and not be held down by the expectations of others.

I can't wait to read the rest of the series. I am anxious to find out how Vasya learns to use her magic and how her story progresses. I loved all of the spirits/demons that were present in the story.

I used this for the Popsugar prompt to read a book set in the season it is set in because it is set in winter.  You could also use it for a book about a family, featuring an imaginary creature, or inspired by mythology, legend, or folklore.  I have other books lined up for those prompts.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment