Friday, March 1, 2019

February Wrap Up


I think I had a great reading month.  I was a little stressed because I had some unexpected ARCs pop up mid-month and I had a ton of books come in at the library for various challenge prompts.  Plus there were just a bunch of books I wanted to read.  Overall, I read a ton of great stuff.  I got a bunch of reviews written, and I've been a bit more active with my posts on here and social media in general.  I also got approved for some other ARCs due out in the coming months so that is super exciting!

Books/Ebooks/ARCs

  • The Last Life of Prince Alastor by Alexandra Bracken
    • Review
    • I didn't love this as much as the first one.  It was a little to whimsical and slow paced for my liking.  There is a ton of character development and the 2nd half picks up the pace.  This is still a great middle grade series.  This was released on February 5, 2019.
  • Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve
    • Review
    • I alternated between the audio and the book.  I really enjoyed this.  It is a mix of dystopian, steampunk, sci-fi and I found it really engaging.  I'm looking forward to the movie and reading the rest of the books in the series.
  • Hold On by Samantha Young
    • Review
    • This is a novella and part of the Big Sky/Kristin Proby crossover series.  It is also part of the Play On series if you follow Sam's works.  It follows Autumn from As Dust Dances and it is a super sweet romance.  It is love at first sight and doesn't have any angst or strife between the characters.  I really loved it.  This will be released on March 12, 2019.
  • The Dysasters by Kristin Cast and P.C Cast
    • Review
    • I was really excited to get an ARC of this.  It is really awesome.  This comes out February 26th.  This is kind of like X-men meets Captain Planet meets Smallville.  Two teens find out they are linked because they have been genetically modified and can control the air element.  They are also being hunted by other genetically modified persons who can control the elements and are loyal to the evil genius who created all of them.  Then the air couple teams up with the water pair (not sure if they will end up as a couple yet) to save the day.  It is really good, go read it.  I can't wait for the rest of the series.  Also there are amazing drawings in the book to complement the story.
  • The Queen's Resistance by Rebecca Ross
    • Review
    • This is the sequel to The Queen's Rising.  This comes out March 5th.  This picks up where the last books left off.  The kingdom is in shambles after a wicked king has been overthrown.  Brienna and the new regime have to sort out who is loyal to the rightful queen and who is still loyal to the old monarchy.  I really enjoyed this.
  • The Essential Martin Luther King, Jr.: "I Have a Dream" and Other Great Writings by Martin Luther King Jr.
    • I was going to use this as my challenge book for a book written in prison, as A Letter from Birmingham Jail is included in this compilation.  I may read something else for that challenge prompt, but these speeches are still applicable today.  They are powerful and moving. I've always admired Dr. King, and I highly recommend reading if not all of these, some of them.  I do wish the editor had given a bit of history surrounding each of the speeches, it would have really helped me understand what was going on historically and understand why each of the speeches was being written.  
  • Nevermoor:  The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend
    • This was such a fun book.  Middle grade is hit or miss for me, but this one was a big hit.  I picked this one up to fill the debut prompt for the Popsugar challenge.  This is whimsical, but not too silly, the characters are fun but have substance.  I recommended it to my 10 year old.  I listened to a bit of the audiobook, but I really enjoyed reading it.  The audio was great though.

Audiobooks

I had a great audio month.  Queen of Air and Darkness was 30+ hours so the fact that I got to anything else after that is a win.
  • Firestarter by Stephen King
    • This fulfills my read a book with the same title.  I read Firestarter by Tara Sim in January.  I thought I had a paperback copy of this, but it is one of the few books of King's I don't own.  I'll be on the lookout for my own copy at the library book sales this year.  This is about a girl who has powers, ala Carrie, but she can light stuff on fire with her mind and she can do other things but that is her main power.  She is the unexpected byproduct of a government science experiment, her parents gained abilities but not as strong as hers.  Her father is trying to protect her and in typical Stephen King fashion there are creepy and horrific things that happen along the way.  If you like Stephen King go read this, it's good!
  • Queen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra Clare
    • Review
    • I didn't love this conclusion.  It is far too long and there are too many plot holes.  This is the end of a conclusion but it is setting you up for the 2 series that are upcoming.  I really didn't appreciate that.  I enjoyed it but I didn't love it.  Read my review for my full thoughts.
  • The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
    • Review
    • This was fantastic.  I loved the mythology and the historical aspects.  I really liked the characters and the writing.  It was well written and perfectly narrated.  I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.  I hope we get more magic as we progress.
  • Illuminae and Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
    • Review
    • I tried to listen to this once before and couldn't get used to the different case files.  After listening to The Themis files and loving that series, I decided to give this another shot.  I'm so glad that I did.  I'm really enjoying it on audio, the full cast is awesome.  I was able to grab the ebooks of both to enhance the reading experience as there are some pictures/graphics in the book that aren't necessary to grasp the plot but they are cool.  Plus they are done by the awesome Marie Lu, so you should check them out just because.  I really love the plot and the mystery element behind this.  You can read the synopsis of both and they give you enough without giving spoilers.  I've already started Obsidio and its just as good.  Long story short each book follows a couple trying to save the day after a tragic event has occurred, in book 1 the planet was attacked and the fleet is being chased by a spacecraft that wants to eliminate them.  In book 2, the couple is trying to save the space station they live on from killer space aliens, mercenaries, and multiple reality wormhole implosion.  It is the best kind of sci-fi.

No comments:

Post a Comment