Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Top 5 Wednesday: Most Disappointing Reads of 2018



January 16th: Most Disappointing Reads of 2018
--These are books you read in 2018, not only ones released in 2018.


This was alot harder than I expected to narrow it down to just 5.  I read 150 books or so last year and most of them were 3 stars or above.  I had 14 books that I gave 1 or 2 stars to.  Some of them I didn't expect to like in the first place (1984 by George Orwell is a good example of that) so I didn't list them here because they weren't really a dissapointment.

Here we go

  • Warm Bodies by Issac Marion
    • 23302779
    • I liked the movie, hated the book.  I'm not really into zombies, and I think I was expecting this to be more like the movie.  I wanted the comedy from the movie and this was dark and gruesome.  I
  • The Defy Series by Sara B. Larson
    • My Series Review
    • 17406847
    • This entire series dissappointed me.  It was recommended if you liked Graceling by Kristin Cashore, but it is nothing like Graceling.  It is a contemporary romance that has some fantasy elements.  I didn't want swooning I wanted a strong female character who could kick butt.  She spent too much time worrying about her love life.  I didn't like it.  It got better, but its not Graceling by any means.
  • Ruin of Stars by Linsey Miller
    • 29960680
    • My review
    • I wanted so much more out of this book.  I loved the first one, but this one was just missing something for me.  It wasn't the conclusion I wanted from this duology.
  • Unbreakable by Sara Ella
    • 35481822
    • My review
    • This is another one where the conclusion of the series was so disappointing.  I really enjoyed the first 2 books, but the ending was immature.  It really ruined the whole series for me, which is a shame because the first 2 books were good and I liked the premise and the magic system.
  • Don't Put Me In, Coach: My Incredible NCAA Journey from the End of the Bench to the End of the Bench by Mark Titus
    • 13531738
    • I expected to like this more than I did.  I just didn't connect with the author's sense of humor.  I honestly didn't need to know about his gastrointestinal distress throughout his college basketball career as many times as he mentioned it.  Nor do I think much of his commentary was funny.  I did appreciate getting a look behind the scenes of college basketball, especially for games I watched or was at that he talked about in the book.  He is a talented writer, but his approach and humor just isn't for me.

1 comment:

  1. I love the first book in the Unblemished series and I want to read Unraveling soon, but if Unbreakable was disappointing I wonder if I should skip that one.

    ReplyDelete