Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Self-Published Books


This week is a freebie because there is an extra Wednesday this month.  I went with an old topic that I've never done before since I just started participating regularly.

January 30th: Favorite Self-Published Books
I used to read self-published books a lot when I first got my Kindle, because often times they are free or really cheap to get to sucked into a series.  I've found some of my favorite authors that way.  Some of these may not be self-published any longer, but they were at the time.  These are in no particular order because this was much harder than I thought it would be.  If you've read any of my posts before many of these authors should come as no surprise, they've been favorites of mine for a very long time.  

1.     Slumber by Samantha Young
a.       11250718
b.     I know Samantha Young has gone on to have a very successful career in adult contemporary romance, but when I found her she was writing YA paranormal and self-publishing her books.   This is the first book of hers I ever read and it remains my favorite.  I recommend all of her YA stuff and all of her adult/NA stuff as well.  She is one of my favorites and one of the few romance authors I will read.  This one is about a handmaiden who has to save the princess and the kingdom by tracking down a mysterious flower to cure the princess' sleeping sickness.  It has adventure, romance, action, and I loved it.  
2.     Archer's Voice by Mia Sheridan
a.       32822135
b.     This was self-published when I bought it, I checked.  I'm not sure what the status is today.  I have a bunch of Mia's books I need to get to, her books are heart wrenching but they are worth it.  This one is my favorite to date.  This involves a man who is mute and kind of a hermit and a woman who is running away from the bad things in her own life.  One moment of kindness on her part slowly begins to uncover the pain in his past shows how much we all need love and kindness in our lives.
3.     Wicked by Jennifer L. Armentrout
a.       22895264
b.     Jen is one of my favorite authors, and she self-published this series.  I remember her posting about figuring out how to self publish something on her blog or in her group about it ages ago when her publisher wasn't really interesting in the storyline.  The series is great, it involves fae, steamy romance, and a badass female lead.
4.     Fallen Flame by J.M. Miller
a.       34209180
b.     I am pretty sure this was self-published, if not the sequel (Scattered Plume) was for sure.  I love a good fantasy with a unique twist, especially if it has its own mythology to go with it.  The main character is a royal guard, but she is no ordinary soldier.  She has skin that burns and turns to rock like lava.  As the story unfolds we find out more about her and the magic surrounding her, the political unrest at work, and much more.  
5.     Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid
a.       Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
b.     The whole series is awesome as is the spinoff The Winston Brothers, so go read all of them.  You're welcome!  Penny is my go to author when I’m down.  I love all of her female characters, and their male counterparts are equally excellent.  They all have some quirk about them and I love that she puts technical stuff and science stuff in her books.  They are all so well researched.  Contemporary romance isn’t my thing but if Penny wrote it I’m going to read it and I know I’m going to love it.  I do believe all of Penny’s works are self-published.

No comments:

Post a Comment