Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Books I Didn't Get to in 2018



This week's topic:

Books You Didn't Get to in 2018
Discuss the books you didn't quite get around to this year but are at the top of your list for 2019! 

If you celebrated Christmas yesterday, I hope you had a good one!  Did you get any books or bookish goodies?  I got 2 new bookshelves.  I'm very thankful for them, as my lone shelf was overflowing.  Other than that we had a nice family day, I can't really ask for much more than that.

With the year coming to an end this week's topic is kind of perfect.  I spent most of the month wrapping up the remaining reading prompts I had for the Popsugar Reading Challenge.  I have about 20 pages left in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child which I plan to finish as soon as I get this post up, then I'm done with the 2018 list.  I really love working on the challenge because it gets me to read things I normally wouldn't and I still get to read a majority of books I wanted to read anyway.  I have a huge list of books I meant to get to this year, narrowing it down to 5 was really tough.  These are all books I bought in the last year but never read for one reason or another.  I've realized that I tend to put off reading books I own because I prioritize the books I get from the library and the ARCs I receive first.

  • The Alice Network by Kate Quinn
    • 32051912
    • I bought this after Christmas last year when it was on sale in the kindle store.  Kate Quinn has been known to join us in our Popsugar Challenge facebook group from time to time for Q&A sessions.  This spans WWI and WWII and involves female spies.  For a lover of wartime historical fiction it sounds like something I would really enjoy.
  • Radium Girls by Kate Moore
    • 31409135
    • This has gotten so many good reviews.  I'm not a big nonfiction reader, but this really intrigues me.  I bought it on sale as well.  I've read several amazing non-fiction books over the last 2 years and I bought this hoping to read another.  This is one I need to make a priority.  It tells the story of the women who worked with radium, which was a wonderful substance at the time, but they didn't know that it was poisoning them.  
  • Attitude by Jay Wright
    • 33930158
    • Both of my boys play basketball and we are a huge NCAA basketball family.  Go Cuse!  It is pretty much the only thing on TV on our house from October until the championship game in late March/early April.  I really respect Jay Wright as a coach and I look forward to seeing his team play every year.  I bought this for my sons to read, but no reason I can't read it too. I had it slated as a book challenge prompt for a book involving a sport this year but as time was running out, I read a much shorter book and I really regret my choice.  I didn't really enjoy it, other than the fact that I finished it in a day.  Good news is I own this and I can read it in 2019 when I have more time to devote to it.
  • Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
    • 34342006
    • This is another one I bought on sale and never picked up again.  I really enjoy this type of historical fiction.  This has come highly recommended by many fans of the genre.  It is high on my list of things to get to in 2019.
  • Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
    • 30809689
    • I love mythology of any type.  I find it fascinating.  I bought a hardback of this at a book sale a while back and never picked it up again.  I heard the audio is great and might get to it that way.  I know Hoopla has it.  My husband and I watch Vikings and I really love the mythology that they weave into the show and hope to learn more about it.  I actually find the behind the scenes history episodes more interesting than the show itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment