Saturday, May 25, 2024

Review: The Hunter's Daughter by Nicola Solvinic

The Hunter's Daughter The Hunter's Daughter by Nicola Solvinic
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC of this book via Netgalley and the Berkley Besties program, all opinions are my own.

This follows Anna, a detective with a secretive backstory that not even she completely remembers. When Anna shoots a perpetrator in the line of duty and is dosed with PCP suppressed memories from her childhood begin to surface. She thought she buried the person she used to be, but with the help of her therapist she is able to piece together her past with what she is experiencing now. This is especially helpful when she finds herself tangled up in a murder investigation that appears to be a copycat of her serial killer father. Unable to detach herself from the case, Anna is determined to use her knowledge of her father's case, and the outdoor skills he taught her to figure out the current case or if her father has returned from the dead to haunt her once more.

I found it hard to believe that Anna was able to hide her identity from so many people for so long. It is one of those plot points where you have to suspend your disbelief for the storyline to work. No one recognizes her and she makes really poor decisions throughout the investigation, yet no one picks up on it.  This might be a spoiler, but this leans heavily on the paranormal aspect, which I didn't mind, I love a good paranormal storyline but I wanted more information on that part. I love a good mythological element, however I appreciate when it is well explained and I felt it was a bit lacking in information on how the connection was made.  As for the thriller aspect, this has plenty of red herrings to keep the reader on their toes and adds in a nice bit of police procedural.

Overall, this was an interesting thriller and a solid debut.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment