Thursday, April 20, 2023

Review: Tough Cookie by Talia Hunter

Tough Cookie Tough Cookie by Talia Hunter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided both a print and audio ARC of this book via the author and Smartypants Romance, all opinions expressed are my own.  I bounced between the audio and the print version while reading and either choice is a good one.  Kay and Dunlap are great narrators and brought the story to life.  They had me laughing out loud at the funny bits, and feeling all of the other emotions where appropriate.

I really enjoyed this book.  I don't think I've ever read about a protagonist with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  As someone who suffered from chronic fatigue after contracting mono in high school, I can relate to some of Carla's symptoms.  I was constantly sick and always tired, the stress of completing high school and entering college didn't help.  My experience was temporary and eventually went away for the most part.  It is certainly hell on your immune system and life, I can only imagine what severe and permanent cases are like.

This follows software developer Carla and stuntman Noah who are both taking a breaks from the fast-paced lifestyle that their chosen careers are known for.  Carla has been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, so she has relocated to Green Valley to work on her own software project in the hopes that the slower paced life will help her symptoms and the anxiety she has developed along with her diagnosis.  Noah is recovering from an injury on set, so he has come home to spend time with his mom and help out around the house.  Noah's mom is renting her farm house to Carla, and when the roof unexpectedly caves in, Noah is the perfect man for the job.  It also helps that his mother has an ulterior motive to set Noah up with a woman, any woman, as soon as possible.  Noah and Carla get off to a rough start, mainly because she has a bit of social anxiety, but soon they are settling into laugh out loud banter.  Noah is extremely charming, and while his is her opposite he is the perfect fit for Carla.  In a brilliant attempt to get his mother off his back about dating and Carla back into interacting with people, they begin to "fake date", but they quickly realize that they have actual feelings for each other.  

I didn't love that Carla didn't feel she was worthy of love or anyone's time.  I did love that Noah was kind and patient and willing to show her differently.   I'm not a fan of the trope where one half of the relationship decides what is better for the other half and takes that choice away from the other partner.  I can understand why Carla with her diagnosis doesn't want to be a burden, and through her past experience has made be been feel unwanted and unlovable because of if.  I'm glad that Noah stayed strong and fought for both of them.  It was worth waiting for Carla to come around and figure out her own feelings.

Overall this was a really fun and cute romance.  It has some sad and heavy moments that are well balanced by great banter and antics between our two main characters.  I really appreciate that the author put such a personal topic in to the book and learned alot about chronic fatigue.  This is a great addition to the Donner Bakery series and the Smartypants Universe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment