Monday, April 3, 2023

Review: Condemn Me Not: Accused of Witchcraft

Condemn Me Not: Accused of Witchcraft Condemn Me Not: Accused of Witchcraft by Heather B. Moore
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was provided an Audible Code for this book via the author, all opinions expressed in my review are my own.  I want to also mention that I have previously read and reviewed the kindle version back in 2018 and I purchased a copy because I enjoyed it so much.

As with my first read through of this book, I very much enjoyed this.  The narrator does a wonderful job of portraying Susannah at 25 and at 71, she does a good job changing her voice so you are aware of the time change so you know which part of the story you are listening to.  I always appreciate great voice acting in my books.

I loved learning about the Salem Witch Trials in my youth and the cast of familiar characters and excerpts from the actual trials was a very nice touch.  I always find Moore’s books to be very well researched and because this has a tie to one of her own ancestors you can tell a lot of personal care went into the crafting of this book.  She provides her resources at the end a brief note as to what she fictionalized for the sake of the story.  I always appreciate that in my historical fiction.

The story follows Susannah North Martin at various times in her life, we see her during her time in jail as a 71 year old woman after being accused of witchcraft and as a 25 year old unmarried woman living with her family. Susannah's time in jail shows us her strength and devotion to her family and her faith. Her time as a young woman, though she was almost a spinster for the times, tells us the story of a woman devoted to her family but who had a mind of her own and often said what she thought. This was not generally accepted in 1646, and those who did not conform did not often do well in the community.   As the Salem trials proved, those who dare cross those in power ended up at the Gallows. Susannah's story takes us through her romance with her new neighbor George and develops their relationship nicely.  Their brief courtship is a little awkward and really showcases Susannah's personality.  I really appreciated revisiting the subject of the witch trials and the author's ability to stay true to the events that took place during the time.

I’m so glad I got to revisit this story in audio format.  If you enjoy historical fiction especially tales that deal with the witch trials, this is a great one in whatever format you prefer.  I highly recommend the both the print and the audio versions.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment