Sunday, June 26, 2022

Review: The Lies I Tell by Julie Clark

The Lies I Tell The Lies I Tell by Julie Clark
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I received an arc of this book via Netgalley, all opinions are my own.

I really enjoyed this domestic thriller.  It follows two women who's lives have crossed paths in the past and in the present.  Both of them are seeking justice for the wrongs done to them in the past.  Kat's life was put on a path many years ago and her future was permanently altered by one brief interaction with Meg.  Meg is a con artist.  She carefully chooses her targets and plans out her cons.  Meg never intended for Kat to be hurt during one of her "jobs", but she was an innocent who was harmed and Kat is out for revenge now that Meg has reappeared to pull her final job.  Kat is a journalist and is determined to reveal Meg's true identity and uncover all of the innocent people she's conned, but as she gets to know Meg on a personal level she realizes there is more to Meg than meets the eye.  Kat quickly begins questioning everything she thought she knew about Meg and her crimes and questions if her quest for justice might actually be noble.  

I enjoyed the story and characters, but unlike many readers who adored the book and flew through it in a sitting or two I did not.  I thought the book was well written, but I found it very straight forward for a thriller.  There aren't very many surprises or big twists and reveals.  As with Meg's cons, the  book took time to develop so I found the pace a little on the slow side.  This fit well with the plot and development of the storyline.  My personal preference tends to lie with thrillers that are a little more action packed versus something like this that is a bit more slow burn.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment