Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Review: Black Tide by KC Jones

Black Tide Black Tide by K.C. Jones
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was provided an ARC via the publisher through Edelweiss+, all opinions are my own.

I was really excited for this but unfortunately it was not the fast paced, can't put it down read I was expecting.  On one hand the premise of this was really creative and interesting, I thought the horror elements were good and the creatures were well described and creative.  On the other hand, this is a character driven story, but I didn't like either of the main characters.  One of the great things about horror is you almost always want someone to win and survive, but I had a really hard time cheering Mike and Beth on.  That lack of connection and feeling of hope just didn't work for me.  Their "romance" if you can call it that was awkward and they had no chemistry. I also felt Natalia's character was unnecessary but the author made it work.  

This has some gory moments but it isn't over the top and I didn't feel it was too graphic.  If you are at all squeamish, you may want to skip this, there is a lot of blood as both of the characters are injured several times.  At it's core this is a survival story about two people with almost no survival skills trying to survive an impossible situation. They are faced with several types of hostile alien creatures and almost no supplies.  They also have no means to escape.  

This wasn't a bad book by any means, it just didn't appeal to my taste in sci-fi or horror.  After reading several character driven books recently, I've decided I'm more of a plot driven type of person.   I think the creatures and the invasion part was really creative and I wanted more of that.  I do think  it was a pretty decent debut by the author and I look forward to seeing what creative ideas Jones has in store for us in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment